This salad has a very refreshing and light yummy taste for summer. I served this along side my Quesadillas the other night and the flavor combination of the entire plate was delicious. This salad is a great side dish addition to grilled chicken, pork or on a bed of lettuce. Add it to your summer salad list. You won’t be disappointed!
Avocado or Guacamole Salad
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 dashes Frank’s hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 large ripe tomato (for about 1 cup chunks)
- 1 stalk celery (for about 1/2 cup diced)
- 1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped (for 1/4 cup slices)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 ripe avocados*
- Combine oil, lime juice, lime zest, minced garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, cumin and Frank’s hot sauce in a small jar that has a lid. Shake to combine and set aside.
- Cut tomato into bite-size chunks. Place chunks into a 6-cup or larger bowl. Rinse and dice celery, and add to bowl. Add chopped onion to bowl. Mince cilantro and add it to bowl.
- Just before you’re ready to serve the salad, cut avocados into bite-size chunks and fold the avocados into the salad.
- Shake dressing to recombine and pour it over avocado mixture. Stir gently to mix and coat vegetables with dressing. (Stir until green of avocados begins to mix with the dressing a bit, but do not over stir or they will become mushy.) Check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste if needed, and serve at room temperature.