Tag: Frugal Recipes
Make your own Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix to keep on hand in the pantry to add a zesty flavor to dips, soups, dressings and more!
Lately, I have been experimenting with making different seasonings, sauces and condiments from scratch rather than buying them from the store. We go through these types of items from the pantry so quickly, it doesn’t make sense to me to buy them at the store when I can make them at home in larger quantities.
The latest homemade seasoning is a Dry Onion Soup Mix. The great thing about making it at home is you can have control over the ingredients. What I love about this seasoning mix is that it’s a versatile dry mix that can be added to soups, potatoes, chili, or sour cream or mayonnaise with spinach for a dip.
I use the dry onion soup mix to add flavor to my hamburgers all the time.
Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix
- 2/3 cup dried minced onion
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a small mason jar, then give the jar a good shake. Use 2 Tablespoons Onion Soup Mix in a recipe in place of 1 packet of onion soup mix. Label jar and store this in a dry, cool place like the pantry for 6 months. I’d recommend shaking the jar to mix the ingredients well before each use.