Tag: Budget Friendly Recipes
On a budget? Why not make your own seasonings? This Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix is much healthier and cheaper than buying from the store. Plus, it’s so easy to throw a bunch of seasonings together and store in a mason jar right in your pantry.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt (I recommend Himalayan or Sea Salt)
- 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika (or regular if you don’t have Spanish)
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch (optional; see notes below)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and blend well.
- Spoon mixture onto a 6-inch square of aluminum foil and fold to make airtight or seal in a snack size zip-lock bag. Label as Taco Seasoning Mix.
- Store in a cool, dry place and use within 6 months.
- Makes 1 package (about 2 Tablespoons) of the mix.
- Using the above recipe as a guide you can increase the amounts to make any number of packages.
- Brown 1 lb lean ground turkey meat in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; drain the excess grease. Add 1/2 cup water and the seasoning mix.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Makes filling for 8 to 10 tacos.
Notes: for a grain-free option, lose the corn starch. You won’t lose any of the flavors. I always double up on the amounts used because we go through a batch Taco seasoning quickly.