We make these traditional holiday melt-in-your-mouth cookies every year during the Christmas holiday season. Most of you may know them as Mexican Wedding Cakes, Russian Tea Cakes, or an Italian Butter Nut. In our house, we call them snowball cookies. These delicious cookies are made with simple ingredients from your pantry…flour, butter, sugar, nuts. I usually make one batch omitting the nuts just for the hubby. I also on occasion like to add a little bit of lemon zest and sometimes lemon extract to them.
After making my first batch last weekend, there were only a few left as you can see. 🙂
Makes: 3 dozen cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus more for coating
- 1 teaspoon vanilla*
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor or in a mixing bowl with a mixer. Add the flour, salt and lemon zest. Pulse until dough forms.
- Shape the dough into walnut-sized balls.
- Place the dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until set about 9 minutes. Do not brown.
- Roll the warm cookies in powdered sugar.
Store in an airtight container. To freeze, layer the cookies between sheets of parchment or waxed paper.