This satisfying one-dish meal for Skillet Macaroni and Beef gives you more dinner for the dollar than you are likely to find anywhere!
One Dish Meal
This dish is really simple. It’s a one dish meal that is extra thrifty, takes less time to prepare and cook and there’s leftovers for another night’s meal. This particular recipe I make quite often and rotate the vegetables I use with what I have in the fridge and add in my make-ahead ground beef. This adds to making it a very fast meal for a busy weeknighT.
This dish originated from my Busy’s Mom’s Hamburger Helper recipe and experimenting with different seasonings and ingredients. It really is yummy and the kids love it!
Skillet Macaroni and Beef
- 2 cups make-ahead ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green beans
- medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 cups uncooked Radiatori spiral noodles (Costco purchase, makes it fun for the kids, but any small noodles will work)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups of water
- In a large skillet over medium- high heat, cook the onion until tender. Add the garlic, green beans stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the already cooked ground beef to the skillet, uncooked macaroni, tomato sauce, salt, Worcestershire sauce, spices and water to cover the macaroni and beef mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Place a lid or foil over the skillet. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 15, or until the macaroni is tender. Stir occasionally.
*You can substitute the green beans with frozen corn or peas and use ground turkey in place of the ground beef. This recipe can be halved, or leftovers can be refrigerated for 1 to 2 days. If I simmered it a little more on the stove, most of the “sauce” would have been absorbed, but hey that’s what bread is for right?