I generally turn to really simple foods during the hot summer months. Like this simple taco brown rice pilaf recipe. We eat a lot of mexican foods like tacos, refried beans, nachos, homemade burritos and I find that incorporating rice into those meals helps stretch our grocery budget even further.
We have this side dish not just for dinner but as a side to fried eggs with a drizzle of [easyazon_link identifier=”B01N0QWMXF” locale=”US” tag=”funfitnessmom-20″]hot sauce[/easyazon_link] or at lunch with a side salad and veggies. Rice is a very affordable staple in any pantry. I’ve been making brown rice more and more because it’s high in fiber and just all around healthier for you. Rice is a popular menu option in many cultures all over the world. It goes well with seafood, chicken, beef and almost any vegetable. It is extremely versatile and simple to make.
I make it more so often now with chicken stock. Preferably with homemade chicken stock when I can.
Simple Taco Brown Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or half water, half chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons Taco seasoning or more depending on how spicy you like your food
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion and brown rice in coconut oil until onion becomes translucent.
- Add the chicken broth and parsley and bring to a slight boil. Cover and reduce the heat.
- Cook for 45 minutes, covered, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork, and serve.
Salt and pepper are optional. However, I find that between the taco seasoning and chicken stock give the rice plenty of flavor.
The kitchen tools and gadgets I use to make this recipe easy:
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B01GP2MTXW” locale=”US” tag=”funfitnessmom-20″]plastic cutting board[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00004OCJ8″ locale=”US” tag=”funfitnessmom-20″]Santoku chef’s knife[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0078P9D8K” locale=”US” tag=”funfitnessmom-20″]skillet with lid[/easyazon_link]
This post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase through those links, I am paid a small amount in advertising fees. Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it.