Rice-a-Roni has been a boxed pantry item for as long as I can remember. You can learn how to make a healthier, cheaper, and tastier seasoned rice yourself. Try this homemade rice-a-roni recipe today.
This Rice-a-Roni recipe is a very quick and convenient side dish for many of our family meals. Adding a main ingredient like chicken, beef or pork and you have a comforting main dish.
Boxed Rice-A-Roni vs. Homemade
Most all of our family meals now are made from scratch and with rice being a huge staple in our house, I make a lot of it. After I took some time on a meal prep day and experimented a little, I found that it was really easy to make my own and I haven’t purchased a boxed Rice-a-Roni since.
I now use the recipe below for a base to many different rice dishes I make and adjust the seasonings accordingly. It truly does tastes just like the boxed version of Rice-a-Roni, only better.
Homemade Chicken Rice-a-Roni
- 1/3 cup spaghetti noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 cup white rice (brown rice could be used as well)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken flavor bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- Combine noodles with rice; set aside. In a small bowl, combine seasoning. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Stir in broken noodles and rice. Reduce heat to medium-low (we don’t want to burn the butter) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until pasta and rice is lightly brown.
- Stir in seasoning mixture and water or chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Once the rice mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice and pasta are tender, about 15 minutes.