Meal planning becomes easier for busy moms on weeknights with Homecooked Meals From the Freezer.
On my most recent shopping adventure, I decided to get ahead of my meal planning game by doing an extended freezer cooking session.
I know from experience that having an organized well-stocked freezer with meals and snacks prepared is an essential part of meal planning for my family, especially during weeknights when the kids come home from school for that afternoon snack and I don’t arrive home until just after 5 p.m.
I can breathe a little easier–knowing there’s a quick weeknight meal heating in the oven in 30 minutes or less.
This year, I’d like to start to work on buying more nutritious foods and provide some lighter healthier meals into our family menu and at the same time keep our grocery budget in check.
I’m really trying to watch what we spend over these next 8 months so we can have that family vacation at New Years’.
Action Plan: Day One
First, I’ve decided to map out a plan and spread out each part of my freezer cooking sessions into a couple of different days throughout the remainder of this week. (This is only because we have family coming this Sunday for a visit.)
By the time I’m finished, I should have homemade snacks, homemade bread, homemade sauces and fillings and freezer meals in my freezer. Here’s what I’m starting with:
- sort, rinse and soak beans (Tuesday night)
- get the kids ready for school, myself for work, drain beans, chop the onion, start Homemade Pinto Beans cooking in the crockpot
- cook 5 pounds of Make-Ahead Ground Beef and season it with Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix.
- divide the meat into 4 portions, cool 3 portions to freeze and turn another one into Zesty Taco Ring Bake for dinner
- shred 2 pounds of cheese in the food processor.
- place the frozen turkey in the refrigerator to defrost for Saturday. ( did this Tuesday night; making Turkey Enchiladas for Sunday dinner)
- chop more onions and start Homemade Spaghetti/Pizza Sauce on the stovetop
- eat dinner
- portion the homemade spaghetti/pizza sauce ( 8 dinners’ worth)
- season the cooked beans if needed and assemble 30 Bean and Cheese Burritos to chill and freeze
- assemble Breakfast Burritos for the freezer
- clean up, go to bed —– goodnight, it’s late!
Stay tuned for Day Two…..