One of the most quick and easiest of meals to make with extra or leftover veggies is Quesadillas. And there are quite often on busy nights, we simply need a quick and easy meal. The kids may prefer just plain cheese inside their Quesadillas, but every once in a while, I’ll dress them up with meat, veggies or both.
I like to make them with the tortillas used for making wraps. There’s a variety available: Jalapeno Cheddar, Sun-Dried Tomato Basil and Garden Spinach Herb (pictured above).
When tortillas go on sale, I like to stockpile a bunch and freeze them for later. We also go through a pack in a week, using for a variety of meals like breakfast burritos, baked tortilla chips or Chicken Tortilla Soup so these are definitely a pantry and fridge staple around our house.
Grilled Stuffed Quesadillas
- 1 small package sliced mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- In a large skillet, saute vegetables until tender. Set aside. (During the summer, fire up the grill. Using a vegetable grill basket, spray grill basket with oil and place on grill to heat up for about 3 minutes. Once grill basket is hot, pour in the vegetables.
- Spray one side of tortilla with oil and place directly on grill (or electric griddle) and top generously with cheese, then place about 1 cup of grilled vegetables evenly over.
- Top with another tortilla. After cheese starts to melt, turn over Quesadilla for a few more minutes.
- Remove from grill, slice into 4 to 6 triangles and serve.
Some other delicious quesadilla fillings include:
- roasted chiles
- shredded beef
- shredded chicken
- black beans or pinto beans
- sliced jalapenos
- chopped tomatoes
- any number of cheeses; we normally use Monterey Jack or Cheddar
Serve with salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole.