Happy Friday! Can you actually believe it’s March already? And spring is just around the corner! Yay! That means beautiful Spring flowers and we can get a much earlier start on our garden. I realize I haven’t shared a Friday Family Favorites recipe with you in a while mainly because I fell off my blogging schedule from recipe writing. So, with absolutely NO excuse this week, I’m sharing another one of our family favorite recipes that I haven’t made in awhile.
This is another burrito type recipe my family enjoys. Usually Chimichangas are deep fried, however we like our baked which is a little healthier. I like how versatile this recipe is. You can use beef, pork or chicken or for a more veggie style, use just fresh vegetables and rice. These Chimichangas are fast, easy and delicious!
Here’s a delicious way to enjoy Chimichangas without all the mess from deep-frying.
Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Makes: 10 (depending on size of tortilla you use)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (7-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package taco seasoning (I used my Homemade Taco Seasoning)
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried beans (I used my Homemade Refried Beans)
- 10 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 2 to 3 cups shredded cheese (depending on how much cheese you like)
- 1 jar salsa verde
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Toppings of your choice: sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, etc
- In large skillet, add shredded chicken, onions, green chiles, tomato sauce, water, and taco seasoning packet. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for about 8 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in refried beans.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper or foil (spray foil with non stick spray). Spoon about 1/3 cup meat mixture onto tortilla. Top with shredded cheese, and 1 tablespoon of salsa verde. You could use red salsa here, whatever you prefer. Fold up the four sides of the tortilla (see pictures), and place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. Brush lightly with vegetable oil.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with toppings and enjoy!