Oat bran is one of the most important foods for good nutrition. Since starting on the Dukan Diet , we’ve taken an extra look at different types of foods, some that we would never normally pick up at the grocery store. Oat bran being one of them. I normally purchase oats, all-purpose flour and on occasion cream of wheat.
Since it’s our only source of carbohydrates during the Attack Phase and Pure Protein days, the oat bran brings an extra element of variety to this diet and helps with the feeling of being “full”. I can use it to make savory pancakes, pizza crust, muffins, cookies and more!
The oat bran in the diet however, is limited during each phase. During the first week, also known as the Attack Phase, you can only have 1 1/2 Tablespoons. Next week, I’ll be able to add a little more to my recipes. Oat bran is also used to help in lowering your cholesterol.
One of the most popular recipes on the Dukan Diet is the Oat Bran Pancake also known as Dukan Galette. It’s actually quite tasty and made with just three ingredients. To me, it tastes and has the texture like a thick crepe. I’ll share the way I made the recipe in a future post. Sad to say that the first time making them, they didn’t look so pretty but they were edible.
Today, I’m sharing another way we can use the oat bran. In muffins. The original recipe I found, it was called Fast and Easy Ginger Dukan Biscuits and they were made in a non stick frying pan. I chose to use my Pampered Chef Mini Muffin Pan and decided on baking them.
I typically don’t usually eat a whole lot for breakfast in the morning and this diet has thrown me for a loop. So I wanted something that was still on the diet but a little lighter. The muffins were light and airy but would satisfy our daily oat bran requirement for the diet.
Oat Bran Ginger Muffins
Makes: 16 mini muffins
- 4 beaten egg whites
- 3 Tablespoons oat bran
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons non fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried ginger
- sweetener to taste (optional, I omitted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites together. Add the oat bran, yogurt and ginger to the egg whites and mix together. The mixture will be slightly thicker than the pancake.
- Add a little oil to your non stick muffin pan and wipe the oil away using a piece of paper kitchen towel. (no oil is allowed except to lightly grease your pans.) Drop batter into muffin pan using a small spoon or small size scoop.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
The original recipe called for zero fat quark or fromage frais, which I had neither so I used the non fat yogurt. I also omitted the sweetener after trying the Dukan Galette and finding that the ingredients used tasted just fine and didn’t need the sweetness. Plus I’m not a huge fan of those artificial sweeteners and my stomach gets this weird feeling of emptiness every time I have something with artificial sweeteners in it.
So far, we’ve been doing really good with eating strictly proteins. Can’t wait till next week when I can add in some veggies!