I can truly never go wrong when it comes to pasta around our house. Lazy Weeknight Lasagna is always a favorite. One recipe that we love is this red sauce. It’s simple to make and delicious. I don’t really have a “traditional” red sauce recipe, I use the normal base of ingredients but like to try adding a new ingredient in every once in a while. This time, I decided to add some carrots into the batch to tweak the recipe a bit. This recipe has a bit of good flavor and you can add more to suit by adding in some Italian sausage! I like to make red sauce in a big batch – at least double or triple the ingredients and freeze it in quart size portions.
Crock Pot Red Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 6 lb can diced tomatoes (12 cups)
- 6 to 8 cups water (depending on size of your crock pot)
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 Tablespoons dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds Mild Italian sausage (optional)
- In large pot, heat olive oil and cook onion, carrots and garlic until softened.
- Add diced tomatoes and water to crock pot. Stir to mix thoroughly, then add spices and sausage if you wish.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve over your favorite noodles or use in lasagna.
What’s a favorite pasta dish in your family? Share it with us so it can become our favorite, too.