As a quick special treat I like to make these Chocolate Chip Big Bar Cookies. They are quick, easy and a little on the chewy side if you don’t over bake them. I make one batch with chocolate chips and one with butterscotch.
And, can I just say they taste fantastic, cold from the freezer? Oh my!
Chocolate Chip Big Bar Cookies
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk chocolate chips or semi-sweet chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, slightly beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla, eggs, egg yolk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Then fold dry ingredients into wet without overmixing.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Press cookie mixture into a lightly greased 9×13 baking pan and bake 20-30 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Cool completely and cut into squares. To make ahead, store cut cookies in airtight container, separated by layers of waxed paper, and freeze.