One of my favourite meals as a child was Shepherd’s Pie. Others know it as Cottage Pie since Shepherd’s Pie is normally made with lamb. This recipe is made with lean ground turkey meat. I adapted my original recipe to make this family favorite dish into a healthy, clean eating and 21 day fix approved recipe. Enjoy!
Healthy Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 4 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 3 lbs lean ground turkey meat (makes for family of 4 plus leftovers)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, green beans or corn (I used green beans this time)
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- Himalayan salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup clean eating barbecue sauce (just to give the turkey meat an extra kick; recipe below)
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes. Add to a large pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash, add a small splash of almond milk if you prefer your potatoes on the creamier side.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook until onion is clear and carrots are tender. Add ground turkey and cook until well browned. Add green beans, Italian seasoning and barbecue sauce. Cook until well combined and vegetables and meat are fully cooked.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the turkey mixture in an even layer on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Next, top with the mashed sweet potatoes. Spread evenly over the top.
- Place baking dish in the oven until sweet potatoes are lightly brown approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce – no sugar added
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste – no sugar added
1 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
4 tbsp. unsulfured molasses
3 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Combine all ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until well mixed.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!