I’m excited to introduce my very first “Friday Eat Smart Recipe” post. I am constantly trying to find new clean eating recipes to try and give my own twist to. Even more so, I am always looking for new foods to try in the health food section of the grocery store. I love to feed my family a rounded out meal for dinner so they’re not heading to the kitchen a few hours later hungry or looking for a sugary snack.
My very first feature recipe is a Beachbody Eat Smart discovery: Zesty Chicken with Brown Rice. This recipe gives this chicken and rice dish a flavor makeover with this spicy tomato sauce.
Zesty Chicken with Brown Rice
Total Time: 1 hr. 10 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 55 min.
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided use
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ tsp. sea salt (I used Himalayan)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (I used yellow bell pepper)
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1 lb. raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- ½ cup all-natural chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried basil)*
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dried parsley)*
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
* I used Italian Seasoning which is what I had on hand in my pantry.
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until rice starts to crackle.
3. Add water and salt. Bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat; cook for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until rice is tender and fluffy.
4. While rice is cooking, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add chicken and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
7. Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, chili sauce, basil, parsley, and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, covered, for 10 minutes.
8. Divide rice between four serving plates; top evenly with chicken mixture.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
21 Day Fix Portions (per serving)
1 green container1 yellow container1 red container½ tsp.
It’s a great comfort food and doesn’t take long to make! I hope you’ve enjoyed my first Friday Eat Smart Recipe, and that you may find that one of these foods might work for your family. Please feel free to share your thoughts with me!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!