Red Wine Marinara Sauce
A really simple homemade sauce that is so good. I like to serve it over a Rotini so that the sauce really sticks to the pasta. Leftover sauce is great for freezing and using on your favorite pizza dough. I also use my hand blender instead of putting the tomatoes in the food processor making for a quick weeknight meal.
Write a review
- 1- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, pressed (we love garlic so I usually use 2 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and use hand blender to crush tomatoes down.
- Serve over your favorite pasta such as angel hair, spaghetti, rotoni, linguine and even on your favorite pizza dough.
- Ingredients can also be carefully added to a food processor or blender.
- Leftovers can be stored in a ziploc bag or container in the freezer.
This is a very inexpensive easy recipe to make. Double the recipe and freeze in 2 cup portions.