Forget the store bought pasta sauces in the jar. You can make your own marinara sauce, simple enough for everyday, yet tasty enough for all your family’s favorite dishes.
Red Wine Marinara Sauce
- 1- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, pressed (we love garlic so I usually use 2 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and use hand blender to crush tomatoes down.
- Serve over your favorite pasta such as angel hair, spaghetti, rotoni, linguine and even on your favorite pizza dough.
- Ingredients can also be carefully added to a food processor or blender.
- Leftovers can be stored in a ziploc bag or container in the freezer.
This is a very inexpensive easy recipe to make. Double the recipe and freeze in 2 cup portions.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here’s another tasty recipe for my Grandma’s Tomato Sauce I think you’ll enjoy!