The family loves biscuits and while the drop biscuits I make are pretty simple, I enjoy the round flaky on the outside and fluffy on the inside kind. Much similar to those you buy from KFC. Serve with jam, honey or even better butter and a little bit of cinnamon. I’ve also read others like molasses and butter.
Homemade Biscuits From Scratch
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda; Cut in 1/4 shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk until a soft dough forms. (It will be sticky.)
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead gently 10 to 12 times or until no longer sticky, re-flouring board as necessary while kneading.
- Divide dough in half; Gently pat or roll each half into an 8-inch circle 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits – pressing straight down – with a 2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Reform the scraps, working it as little as possible and continue cutting.
- Place cut biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet with edges barely touching; Brush tops of the biscuits with a little milk.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lightly brush melted butter on top and enjoy with jelly, honey or more butter.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!