During the summer months, lunch is pretty simple. We eat simple meals like bean and cheese burritos, PB & J sandwiches, turkey or ham sandwiches and green salad with whatever veggies we have on hand. The kids like it, because it’s grab and go food and I don’t have to fuss over providing fancy foods during the day, just quick and easy – but I am always on the lookout for good healthy, easy lunch ideas to keep it interesting and change it up once in a while.
At the beginning of the week, I simply cooked chicken breasts in the oven with just a little bit of salt and pepper to shred for lunches and dinners throughout the meal plan for the week. We love chicken salad and I usually make a basic chicken salad recipe but for dinner last night, I decided on making chicken salad sandwich wraps using different ingredients.
I like to eat this chicken salad on a bed of spring mix or romaine lettuce but it’s also very good wrapped up in a tortilla making it an easy grab-and-go food. Perfect for summertime lunches or dinners.
Chicken salad is a basic recipe that you can adapt to your family’s taste and preference so play around with it until you find a variation that your family likes. For example, this time I added dried cranberries, red grapes and sliced almonds but sliced Granny Smith’s apples and walnuts would taste great too!
Chicken Salad Sandwich Wraps
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 cups shredded chicken (chopped or diced chicken would also work)
- 2 small celery stalks sliced
- 1 cup red, seedless grapes, sliced
- 1/4 sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 Tablespoons Light mayonnaise or Veganaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard or brown spicy mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Sliced tomato
- Romaine lettuce or Spring Mix
- Ranch dressing (optional)
- In a medium bowl stir together mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper,onion powder and cumin.
- Stir in chicken, celery, almonds, grapes and cranberries. Refrigerate for a couple hours or overnight.
- Divide between tortillas and serve with sliced tomatoes on top and a drizzle of Ranch dressing. Fold into a wrap and enjoy.
Make Ahead Instructions:
- This chicken salad can easily be made ahead of time and used all week in lunches or dinner.
- Slice celery, tomatoes and grapes and place in an airtight container in fridge until ready for use. (Grapes may not last too many days in fridge so slice them no more than one day ahead of making.)
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!