This week, it’s time for me to replenish my pantry with some pre-made mixes for breakfast and for dinner. Today, I’m starting with re-vamping my Homemade Oatmeal Packets. After doing a little bit of testing and research online, and thanks to Jillee at One Good Thing, I’ve tweaked my recipe and it comes out to the exact consistency that my family enjoys. I’ve been making my oatmeal packets this way for a few months now. This recipe continues to allow me to make up a bunch of snack size baggies that the family can grab and make easily for breakfast or snack.
I found the secret to making the oatmeal the exact same way as store bought, is by blending the oatmeal. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets
Makes: 24 snack size packets
- 10 cups quick oats (reserve 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 2 cups brown sugar (depending upon how sweet you like it)
- 1 cup non-dairy creamer (I like French Vanilla or Hazelnut but you could choose whatever flavor your family likes.)
- snack-size baggies
- raisins, dried cranberries or nuts optional
- Put 7 cups of the oats into a large bowl.
- Blend the remaining 3 cups of oats in a blender until powdery, then add to the 7 cups of oats.
- Add salt, brown sugar, and creamer to the oats. Stir until well mixed.
- Measure 1/2 cup of the oatmeal mixture into each snack-sized plastic baggie and seal.
- To prepare: empty 1 “packet” of oatmeal into a bowl or mug and add 3/4 cup of water. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes. (Microwaves vary, so add more time if necessary.)
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!