I’ve tweaked my recipe for Spaghetti Sauce numerous times adding a little bit of this or that and I find just the simple ingredients of garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and a little bit of white wine or whatever wine we have on hand added together tastes delicious after being slow cooked all day not to mention works well on your food budget.
Homemade Spaghetti. “Skagetti.” That’s what I called it growing up. As a child, I loved spaghetti. I remember gathering around the outdoor table when we went camping, it was a meal we’d have quite often and with the fellow camping neighbors. Spaghetti is a yummy dish, comforting and perfect for a large gathering around the table.
This is my go-to recipe I make when I’m down on meals from the freezer and I need to make a meal to stretch it out until my next grocery shopping trip. If the kids are having friends over for a sleep over, it’s a good quick meal to make and this sauce freezes really well. I’ve been making my sauce this way for years and it has become one of my family’s favorites.
When I’ve purchased a good meat supply, my original recipe calls for a mixture of lean ground beef and Italian sausage. This is a great recipe because it cooks in the crock pot. I can not tell you how great it is to be able to mix all the ingredients together, throw in the crock pot and let it cook all day. Whether it’s winter, spring, summer or fall, using the crock pot is so much better since you can actually walk away and let the flavors cook …Love it. Love it. Love it.
Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce
Makes: Enough to fill a 4 quart crock pot
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce (I just puree 2 cups diced tomatoes)
- 1 12-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sweet basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup of your favorite cooking wine
- 1/2 cup water
- spaghetti or vermicelli noodles
- Combine the ingredients in the crock pot until well mixed.
- Cook on low, 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours.
- Serve over spaghetti or vermicelli noodles. Top with Parmesan cheese