Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce is a great condiment for many dishes. Tonight, we’re having Fried Rice with Chicken served with Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce. When you have an abundance of rice, fried rice is a good choice if you’re looking for a different twist on just having plain old rice. We have a favorite Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce dipping sauce that I make whenever we have Chinese food that I’ve adapted to our family’s liking. It’s not only sweet and sour, it has a bit of a kick to it. My family enjoys it and I added it to our family’s meal planning and recipe binder. It’s a great sauce for Egg Rolls, Wontons, over plain white/fried rice, Chinese Chicken Salad or whatever you like.
What’s even better, it’s frugal and didn’t cost anything to make. Everything was right in my pantry. Much cheaper than the bottle of sauce you buy at the grocery store. Can it get better than that? 🙂
Homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 Tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos (much healthier than soy sauce)
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 to 3 Tablespoons agave or raw honey (honey will make it a little thicker)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (found in Asian aisle of your grocery store)
- Place ingredients in a small sauce pan, medium low heat, whisking until sauce becomes thick.
I’ve tweaked this recipe a bit using clean eating ingredients. If you use honey instead of agave, add a little at a time and taste test to your liking. I know sometimes honey can be a little over powering if you add too much.
Tools I use to make this recipe easy:
Having the right kitchen tools can really make your time in the kitchen more enjoyable. Over time, I’ve honed my collection so that they are perfect for my needs. Here are the tools that I like to use in this recipe.
- large skillet with lid -A must for any kitchen! (I have 2)
- prep bowl – I have many of these in my kitchen in different sizes
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!