Rice-a-Roni has been a boxed pantry item for as long as I can remember. You can learn how to make a healthier, cheaper, and tastier seasoned rice yourself. Try this homemade rice-a-roni recipe today.
This Rice-a-Roni recipe is a very quick and convenient side dish for many of our family meals. Adding a main ingredient like chicken, beef or pork and you have a comforting main dish.
Boxed Rice-A-Roni vs. Homemade
Most all of our family meals now are made from scratch and with rice being a huge staple in our house, I make a lot of it. After I took some time on a meal prep day and experimented a little, I found that it was really easy to make my own and I haven’t purchased a boxed Rice-a-Roni since.
I now use the recipe below for a base to many different rice dishes I make and adjust the seasonings accordingly. It truly does tastes just like the boxed version of Rice-a-Roni, only better.
Homemade Chicken Rice-a-Roni
- 1/3 cup spaghetti noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 cup white rice (brown rice could be used as well)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken flavor bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- Combine noodles with rice; set aside. In a small bowl, combine seasoning. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Stir in broken noodles and rice. Reduce heat to medium-low (we don’t want to burn the butter) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until pasta and rice is lightly brown.
- Stir in seasoning mixture and water or chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Once the rice mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice and pasta are tender, about 15 minutes.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!