When I’m blessed with an abundance of produce, I’m always looking to make something really good. Yesterday, I mentioned on my Facebook page I was testing a Creamy Cauliflower and Vegetable soup to include in my Busy Mom’s Kitchen Newsletter. It was taste tested and approved by my family and I’m looking forward to sharing it with my subscribers.
Along with all the vegetables, I seemed to have ended up with a huge bag of fresh lemons. One of my favorite recipes to make with lemons is pudding. I love the tartness the lemon adds to the pudding and I always like to add in a little bit of lemon zest for more lemon flavor. I also like to use fresh farm egg yolks in my puddings. I think it makes the pudding even more creamier.
One of the things I’ve always enjoyed about making puddings is how simple they are. If my family is craving a quick little dessert after dinner, pudding is perfect and I always have the ingredients on hand in my pantry and fridge. It’s a great treat for our son who doesn’t care much for desserts with chocolate.
Homemade Lemon Pudding
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks beaten (again, farm fresh eggs work best in my opinion for a more creamier pudding)
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of 1 1/2 fresh lemons
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a medium sauce pan on medium-low heat, whisk together the sugar and corn starch. Slowly add the milk and whisk until combined and smooth in texture. Approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove one cup of the milk mixture and add it to the egg yolks quickly whisking together to temper the eggs.
- Add the tempered eggs into the sauce pan along with a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low and while continuing to whisk frequently cook until thick in texture (it should coat the back of a spoon), then add the butter and whisk until combined.
- Add in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Remove sauce pan from heat. If you find any lumps in your pudding, you can strain the pudding. I find I never have to do this step if I’ve paid close attention to the pudding as it cooks.
- Pour into individual serving dishes and place in fridge for 2 hours or until cool. Serve and Enjoy!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!