One of the easiest recipes I make from scratch is chicken stock. Every time we have a whole chicken for dinner, I save the bones, skin, and strain the drippings for a wonderful flavorful broth or stock to use in soups, casseroles, rice dishes, etc.
Do you see what’s missing? I took the picture before I chopped the onion. It happens. Now on with the recipe. Making your own chicken stock is easy and very frugal. Sometimes, I can’t always find a good deal on the stocks in the store and why buy them when you could make your own without letting good food go to waste. And besides, using your own broth is much more flavorful in my opinion.
(I eventually did throw the roughly chopped onion in the pot before I turned the burner on.)
I usually freeze my broth in labeled zip loc freezer bags and lay them flat in my freezer. This way they lay flat and don’t take up a whole lot of room in my freezer. Now that we’re down to just one freezer, I can’t afford to waste any freezer space. I always do several 4 cup bags and a few 1 cup bags so I can just pull what’s needed and not let any stock go to waste.
Homemade Chicken Stock
- 1 whole chicken or 2 to 3 pounds bony chicken parts
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 2 carrots, peeled and coursely chopped
- 3 celery sticks with leaves, coursely chopped
- 1 large onion, coursely chopped
- 4 quarts cold water
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- Place chicken pieces in a large stainless steel pot with water, vinegar and all vegetables except parsley
- Let stand 30 minutes to an hour
- Bring to a boil, and remove scum that rises to the top
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 to 24 hours
- The longer you cook the stock, the richer and more flavorful it will be
- About 10 minutes before finishing the stock, add the parsley
- Remove chicken pieces with slotted spoon
- Strain the stock into a large bowl and put in the fridge till the fat rises to the top and congeals
- Skim off this fat and reserve the stock in covered containers in your fridge or freezer
Family Home Remedy Tip: Did you know that chicken stock heals the nerves, improves digestion, reduces allergies, relaxes and gives strength?