What would your selection of Christmas cookies be without the traditional Sugar Cookie shaped in a Christmas tree, Santa Claus, reindeer, Frosty the Snowman or that shining star? Decorated in festive red, green or white frosting with sprinkles, these cookies are truly a memorable treat.
Roll them, cut them, and frost them and let your kids sprinkle a boatload of sprinkles on top. Bake according to recipe directions. Cool, wrap, label, and freeze. How fun is that!
This is a great cookie where the whole family can join in and gather around the table to decorate making more Christmas time memories and traditions.
Sugar Cookies Recipe
Servings: 4-5 dozen cookies, depending on size of cut out shapes
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 cup butter, softened but not melted
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Dust flour onto a clean working surface and roll dough to approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using your favorite cookie cutters, begin to cut the shapes from the dough, re rolling and adding more dough in as needed.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 5 to 10 minutes in preheated oven or until just starting to turn light brown. Cool cookies completely on rack before frosting.
- For frosting, blend butter and sugar with a mixer. Stir in the vanilla and milk, beating until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency. Divide into separate bowls and add food coloring if desired. Store frosted cookies in airtight container.
Freeze unfrosted cookies in freezer bag or other freezer safe container. To serve: Thaw. And proceed to decorate as directed.