Homemade Cranberry Juice is very healthy for you too. Cranberry juice is a good source of polyphenol antioxidants and phytochemicals, both of which are possible deterrents against cancer and disorders of the cardiovascular and immune systems. That’s a lot of benefits coming from a small fruit.
I’ve always enjoyed the fresh taste of making juice from scratch. Whether it be using the juicer or on the stove top, it’s definitely healthier for my family. And I control the ingredients. I should really make it more often than I do. It may sound like a lot of work, but it’s actually not. Last year after the Thanksgiving holiday, I stocked my freezer with fresh cranberries and now I’m making my own cranberry juice. It’s not too sweet, with a little bit of tartness and it’s really tasty.
Homemade Cranberry Juice is perfect to drink alone, added to ice tea, cider, other fruit drinks, mixed with ginger ale or of course that perfect cosmopolitan.
Homemade Cranberry Juice
- 2 12-ounce bags fresh cranberries, thawed
- 8 cups water
1/2 cup to 1 cup sugar3/4 to 1 cup raw honey or agave
- Place the cranberries and water in a medium stock pot or saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and cover loosely. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cranberries have burst open.
- Carefully, strain through a colander lined with cheesecloth or paper towel. Press softly with a silicone or rubber spatula to extract more fruit juice, but BE CAREFUL not to get any of the cranberry pulp in your juice.
- Pour the strained juice back into the stockpot or sauce pan and add the sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature before placing in pitcher for the fridge.
** The amount of
sugar honey or agave needed for this recipe may vary depending on your taste and the sweetness of the berries. If you think you may prefer it more tart start with 1/2 cup and work your way up. Remember, to take in consideration that you may be adding it to other fruit juices or other types of drinks.
For more great homemade from scratch recipes, visit my 21 Day Fix Recipes page.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!