I love cornbread. I enjoy making it and for some reason it just seems to taste better from scratch. It’s really good with Chili, Lasagna, Spaghetti and goes well with soups and stews. Occasionally, like this morning, I’ll make it for breakfast. Drizzle with a little bit of my favorite blackberry honey or blueberry butter and it’s ooh it’s so good!!
Well, it’s really good and my family agrees.
You’ll have to make it yourself and let me know what you think!
Sweet Skillet Cornbread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted plus 1 Tablespoon melted for skillet
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place skillet in oven as it’s preheating.
- Combine flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil and butter in a small bow; mix well. Add to flour mixture; stir just until blended.
- Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter and pour into warmed skillet. (Be careful, skillet is hot.) Add corn bread mixture and bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.