For one of our eating from the pantry meals this week, we had Vegetable Chow Mein. A very simple and inexpensive dish I might add. Using Ramen noodles, frozen stir-fry veggies and sauce made for a great meal for my family. It’s another perfect meal for a quick weeknight dinner.
Vegetable Chow Mein
- 3 packages instant Ramen noodles (Oriental flavor, but any flavor will do)
- 1 package frozen stir-fry vegetables (freezer section of your grocery store)
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons chili vinegar (I’ll tell you a secret I learned on where to find this in the method section below!!)
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce ( I love Frank’s hot sauce brand)
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- Boil a large pot of water as you would for cooking pasta. Bring it to a boil and add in the instant noodles and seasoning packet all at the same time. They cook in about a minute on high heat.
- Immediately drain the noodles and immerse them in ice cold water. This stops the cooking and helps in removing the excess starch from the noodles. This also ensures that the noodles don’t stick to each other. Drain the noodles from the cold water after 5 minutes and spread them in a large plate/bowl and let them air dry for a while, until your sauce is ready.
- For the sauce: Mix all the ingredients mentioned for the sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan/wok on high heat. Add the vegetables. Pour in the sauce and toss to mix everything together. You can use the pasta/noodles spoon or use two wooden spoons and toss the noodles like you would toss a salad.
- Once mixed thoroughly, let the noodles stir fry for 5 minutes on high heat. Stir every minute to make sure they fry evenly.
- Serve immediately.
- You can make your own chilli vinegar by immersing 3-4 slit green/serrano chillies in 1 cup of white vinegar. Now here’s my secret – I save the water from the pickles jalapeno peppers. They are fabulous for recipes like this and various dips!!
- Add an extra ingredient like meat like chicken, pork or beef.
- Fresh vegetables can also be used in this recipe.
- These noodles can be prepared and stored in the refrigerator for a few days and used whenever required!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!