Happy Monday Everyone! Did you enjoy your Father’s Day weekend? We’ve been enjoying some beautiful weekends here in the sierra foothills since summer vacation started. The kids ended the week camping with papa bear, a great bonding experience for them, which was awesome. Our son, Dante came back and spent Saturday at one of his best friend’s house for his birthday.
Saturday, was an extremely warm day. Not a day where anyone felt like being in the kitchen. Thank goodness for my crock pot. I originally planned a traditional Lasagna for dinner, but decided on making it in the crock pot. I had some Taco Seasoned Ground Turkey that I picked up using my eCoupons from Raley’s and decided on making a Crock Pot Mexican Lasagna. On a hot day, it was easy, went together in a snap and the family love it. The leftovers went into the freezer for a future meal.
Crock Pot Mexican Lasagna
- 1 pound Jennie-O taco seasoned lean ground turkey
- 1 18 ounce can of green enchilada sauce
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans-pinto or kidney are good too
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin-optional
- 1 30-count package corn tortillas (you won’t use all of these)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese-more if you like it cheesy
- Brown the ground turkey. Reduce the heat, add the sauce, tomatoes, beans, water and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Layer in the crock pot 1/4 of the sauce, turkey mixture, cheese, and corn tortillas making sure to overlap the tortillas just a little.
- Repeat 3 times*. End with a cheese layer.
** Now you may only get 3 layers in your crock pot in that case just make your layers thicker as long as the layers are pretty evenly distributed all will be good. Refrigerate over night or plug in and cook on low 8 hours or high 6 hours. Crock pot sizes vary so you may need to adjust the amount of ingredients.
My weekly meal plan and shopping list is completed and posted on our fridge:
Suppers Your Family Will Love
Need ideas for your weekly meal plan? It’s time for another weekly menu. I enjoy menu planning because of the simplicity it provides for my life. It enables me to decrease my grocery shopping excursions to twice a month and it allows me to have more free time to focus on my family and home. For ideas in the weekly meal plan, we’ll be focusing on a variety of family meals. You’ll find the recipes on the weekly meal plan also available on my Recipe Index page with a grocery list included.
Dinner (recipes will post throughout the week)
Monday: Rice and Bean Bowls
Tuesday: Kung Pao Chicken, Rice, Cucumber-Tomato Salad
Wednesday: Quick Quesadillas, Guacamole Salad
Thursday: Roasted Chicken and Pesto Panini, Cherry Tomatoes
Saturday: Roasted Vegetable Frittata, Fresh Fruit
Weekly Meal Plan and Shopping List