I’ve been wanting to make my own flour tortillas for quite some time but I was afraid they wouldn’t quite turn out. I finally decided to dive right in and give it a try and I was really surprised at how easy they are to make. They may be a little time consuming to make on a weeknight, so I suggest blocking out at least 30 minutes on a weekend just to roll out and cook them. But, it’s well worth it! (I’m going to research and find a tortilla press soon.)
I’ve found a few different recipes that use unbleached flour, grain mill and wheat flour but all I had on hand was all-purpose flour, so the next time I make them, I may just try using one of those ingredients.
The ingredients needed for this are so simple. In fact, you probably already have everything you need: flour, salt, baking powder, canola or vegetable oil, and water.
Homemade Flour Tortillas
Makes: 8-12 tortillas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- taco seasoning for tortillas
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Add in the vegetable oil and mix with your Kitchen Aid using the dough hook or I simply used my fingers until all the oil is incorporated.
- Add the water by Tablespoons and mix until a ball is formed and dough is smooth. If dough is too sticky, you can add a little more flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes to an hour. (You can also refrigerated it overnight).
- Divide the dough into 12 balls and roll out one at a time on a floured surface. Brush off excess flour.
- Cook on a hot, ungreased griddle over medium-high heat. Turn the tortilla when brown blisters form on the first side.
- Stack the totillas and serve warm.
Store any uneaten tortillas tightly sealed in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator or freezer.
Tip: To reheat, place tortillas in aluminum foil and put a damp paper towel inside. Heat in the oven for about 5 minutes and tortillas will come out soft and warm. Perfect for rolling up burritos or fajitas!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!