A low-fat makeover with a shot of Southwestern seasonings.
Southwest Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen bell pepper strips, drained
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup baked tortilla chips, crushed (see note below)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- Ground Black Pepper
- Hot-Pepper Sauce or Taco Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8″ x 4″ loaf pan with no-stick spray.
- Warm the oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, pepper mix, garlic and jalapeno peppers. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, and cumin.
- Place the egg in a large bowl. Beat lightly. Add the grounded up tortilla chips, vinegar, tomato sauce, onion mixture and turkey. Season with salt, black pepper,and taco sauce. Mix well.
- Spoon into prepared loaf pan, smooothing out the top. Place the loaf pan in oven. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
Note: Baking your own tortillas is easy to do. In this recipe, I used homemade tortillas using Mission Carb Balance Tortillas and by using my food processor, I was able to ground them up before adding them to the turkey mixture.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!