Sometimes with our busy schedules during the day at work, at home taking care of the kids or just busy running around doing errands, we tend to forget about taking a moment to rejuvenate ourselves. I always try to jump start my day with a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with fruit, a salad or soup for lunch usually around noon, but sometimes I find myself in need of a snack to tide me over until dinner. So, I thought I would share with you some of my 10 favorite snacks that are healthy and can be packed to go anywhere with a busy mom.
- Cereal- I will pack a small container filled with cereal like Multi-Grain Cherrios or Granola with a small handful of nuts. Provides lots of protein.
- Soynuts without salt-I was introduced to these years ago by a good friend of mine and they are absolutely a tasty and nutritious snack! They are also very good on salads.
- Yogurt Parfaits- they’re not just for dessert. Add in some granola (and the protein that comes with it, as well), and you’ve got a protein-rich snack, not to mention one with a calcium kick.
- Sugar Snap Peas-The sugar snap pea contains a range of vitamins that can provide many different health benefits. A cupful of sugar snap peas contain the same amount of vitamin C as half an orange. Love these!
- String Cheese-A favorite snack not just for me but for the kids. I usually slice an apple or some whole grain crackers.
- Fresh Fruit-Apples, Bananas, Oranges, Grapes, Pears or Blueberries. All very rich with the essential vitamins and antioxidants our body needs and deserves.
- Granola Bars-Kashi makes a great snack bar and I make sure to keep a handful in the car. They are perfect for road trips.
- Almonds-A small snack size bag of these and you’re definitely satisfied.
- Veggies-Snack on vegetables like bell pepper strips and broccoli with a low-fat or fat-free ranch dip.
- Lowfat Popcorn-I usually pop a bag in the morning before I head out to the office and split with the kids.
Snacking on nutritious food can keep your energy level high and your mind alert without taking up a lot of your time. I hope these snack ideas help you satisfy your afternoon munchies/cravings. I’d love to hear about your favorite healthy snacks that keep you going. Please share them on the Family Meals Matter Cooking Club page or in the comments section below.