This week I’m working on quick weeknight meals. I’m using ingredients that are right in my freezer, pantry and fridge. I’m adding a few new dishes to the week’s menu giving my family a variety of great tasting meals!
This meal idea came from a bulk purchase of ingredients from Costco of sweet red peppers, broccoli and chicken breasts. Once I got everything home, I broke these ingredients down to meal size portions, place in zip-loc freezer bags and placed in the freezer. This worked out well for my meal prepping day and allows me to pull out from the freezer with ingredients already prepped to use when I need them for another meal.
A few changes to this meal:
- Meat: use beef or pork instead of chicken
- Veggie Ideas: spinach, green peppers, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, baby corn, snow peas, zucchini, green onion
- Sauce: any type of oriental sauce will do like Terryaki, Peanut Sauce, Sweet and Sour
- Rice: This would be great over spaghetti or rice noodles, or even soba, whatever you have!
Chicken Stir Fry
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, plus extra for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cup sweet red pepper, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Place the chicken pieces in a medium bowl. Drizzle lightly with soy sauce and sesame oil. Add chicken broth. Set aside.
- Have all of the vegetables cut up and ready to be added as you cook. (very important step in stir fry) In a small prep bowl, combine 1/2 cup soy sauce with 3 tablespoons brown sugar. Stir well and set aside.
- Heat a skillet or wok over high heat. When it is heated, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the chicken to the skillet and fry quickly, stirring around for 2-3 minutes. When brown and just cooked through, remove to a separate bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the skillet. Add onions and cook for 1 minute. Add red pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Add garlic and stir well. Add the carrots, stir well, and cook for 45 seconds. Add the broccoli, stir well and cook for 45 seconds.
- Pour in the 1/4 cup chicken broth and soy sauce mixture. Add in 1 teaspoon rice vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil. Return the cooked chicken to the skillet and stir. Add the soy sauce/brown sugar mixture. Stir together, then turn off heat. Sauce should become thicker. Serve over cooked rice.