This dish was inspired from Traditional Mexican Tamales.
- 2 1/2 cups Make-Ahead Ground Beef
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 jar (16-ouncess) chunky salsa
- 1 1/2 cups al-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sour cream
- deli sliced jalapenos (optional)
- sliced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. For filling, place ground beef in a large skillet. Sprinkle with seasonings. Stir in salsa. Cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes.
- For corn bread, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add milk, eggs and oi; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in shredded cheese.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups batter evenly on bottom of baking dish. Top with filling and remaining batter, spreading evenly.
- Bake 35 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Loosen corn bread from edge with a knife. Slice into wedges. Serve with sour cream if desired.