- 3 baking potatoes, large ( about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 3 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 green onions ( with tops)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- bacon, chopped and cooked
- sour cream
- broccoli florets, steamed (optional)
- 2 cups frozen corn(optional)
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise with knife.
- Place in a microwavable baker.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the milk over the potatoes.
- Cover and Cook on high for 11 minutes. Remove baker from microwave.
- Move center potatoes to ends of baker and outer potatoes to center.
Cover and microwave on high 8 to 11 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
Remove baker from microwave and coarsely mash potatoes with potato masher.
- Meanwhile, whisk cream cheese until smooth in microwavable mixing bowl.
- Slowly add remaining 3 cups milk, whisking until smooth.
- Add cream cheese mixture, corn and butter to baker.
- Microwave, covered, on high 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture is hot.
Slice green onions with knife.
- Carefully remove baker from microwave. Grate cheddar cheese over chowder.
- Add green onions, salt, and black pepper and mix until cheese is melted.
- Serve with bacon, sour cream, and broccoli, if desired.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!