|Chocolate Pumpkin Marble Cake||
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin or 1 (15-ounce can) pumpkin pie mix
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 cups flour plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- Special equipment: 1 1/2-quart glass loaf pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 1 1/2-quart glass loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream the butter with sugar at high speed until fluffy and pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Add in the eggs, vanilla, and orange zest. Mix in the pumpkin, sour cream and orange juice.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing on low speed until just incorporated. Spoon out 1/3 of the cake batter and place in a small bowl.
- In a small measuring cup, make a thin paste of the cocoa, cayenne, and hot water, stirring until smooth. Pour into the small bowl of cake batter and stir just until well mixed. Pour half the (non-chocolate) pumpkin batter into the prepared loaf pan. Spoon on the chocolate batter, and then finish by pouring the remaining yam batter on top. Use a butter knife to cut through the cake to create a marbling effect.
- Bake until the cake is firm and toothpick comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Cool before slicing.
Receipe adapted from Ten Dollar Dinners
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!