According to Kim Snyder, a clinical nutritionist, By consuming a green smoothie, you are getting more greens than you would probably get in a day…or even in a few days! Blending the greens, is in essence “predigesting” the greens. She states many of the important nutrients in greens are encased inside plant cells and getting their benefits requires these cells’ walls to be ruptured. So blending allows the food to be ingested as a whole vegetable with fiber intact (as opposed to juicing), so you feel FULL from the fiber and are able to absorb the maximum amount of nutrition from your greens. This is especcially great if you’re a busy mom on the go. There are times, I’m running out the door and a smoothie is all I have time to make along with some raw almonds and a bottle of water. At lunch, I’m still pretty full from my smoothie, and a salad is perfect for me.
It truly only takes a matter of minutes to make a delicious smoothie. Here is Kim Snyder’s delicious Green Smoothie with a few of my additions with the fruit I had on hand.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped (I omited)
- 3 stalks organic celery
- 1/2 head organic kale
- 3/4 of a small bunch of spinach
- 2 organic apple, cored and chopped (an extra apple adds a little more sweetness)
- 1 organic mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 organic banana
- Juice of 1/2 fresh organic lemon
- 1/3 bunch organic cilantro (stems okay) (optional)
- 1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems okay) (optional)
- I also like to add 1 teaspoon meca powder and 1 teaspoon vitameal
- Add the water and chopped head of romaine to the blender. Starting the blender at low speed, mix until smoothi. Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, apple and pear. Add the cilantro and parsley, if you are choosing to add them. Add the banana and lemon juice last.
This smoothie tastes yummy. The fruit and lemon cut right though the grass taste.
Feel free to mix and match different greens and fruits, as these two specific food groups combine well.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!