You can make an amazing versatile pasta sauce by kicking up a simple jar of pasta sauce. It really doesn’t take much, just some roasted garlic, a little chopped onion, half-and-half, cayenne pepper and some roasted peppers. I like to use one sweet pepper and one red pepper in this particular recipe. This recipe make a little more than 2 cups of pasta sauce and depending on how much sauce you like on your pasta, this will be just the right amount for 16 ounces of spaghetti noodles. If you have any leftover sauce, you can refrigerate it and boil more pasta the next day for lunch or freeze in a freezable container and use the next time you serve pasta.
Spaghetti With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Salt (optional), for cooking pasta
16 ounces spaghetti noodles
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, roasted
1 cup marinara sauce
1 sweet pepper, roasted
1 red pepper, roasted
1/2 cup half and half
Basil Leaves for garnish (optional)
- Roast peppers in the oven. (see directions on roasting peppers below.)
- Boil pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic, marinara sauce, roasted peppers and half and half to blender. Blend until all ingredients are well blended.
- Add desired amount of sauce to pasta. Toss until pasta is coated with sauce. (Because the pasta is still hot from cooking, it will heat sauce.)
How To Roast Peppers:
Preheat oven to preheat to 450F. Arrange the peppers on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Roast in the oven, turning every 15 minutes until done (about 30 minutes). Once they are done place in a covered bowl. As the steam from the peppers condenses, the skin becomes easier to peel off. Once the peppers have cooled, carefully peel off the blackened skin and discard. You can do this with your fingers or a sharp pairing knife. Pull or cut off the top of the pepper and squeeze gently to remove the seeds. ***Never rinse or wash the peppers as the water will diminish the smoky flavor.
Just a few ways to serve Roasted Red Peppers:
- Roasted Red Peppers are great on baguette slices with Mozzarella or Goat cheese and capers served as an appetizer.
- Blend and serve as a creamy soup.
- Roasted Red Pepper Dip.
- Red Pepper Hummus.
These are just a few great recipe ideas to use roasted red peppers. What are some of your favorite recipes?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!