Whenever I try a recipe for the first time on my family, I try and make it as simple possible. Taste test it as I go and decide on re-working the ingredients in the next batch I make. I’ve always wanted to give Tortilla Soup a try. I’m sure there’s a correct way to make it somewhere out there, so forgive me if I didn’t follow exactly how it should be made. With this recipe I used my taste buds to guide me with the correct amount of each ingredient and this is what I came up with:
Summary: An easy soup to make that is flavorful and filling! Your whole family will enjoy!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2-3 Seasoned Chicken Breasts, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14-5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup Picante salsa
- 1 cup corn
- 3 1/2-4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- Baked Flour Tortillas, cut into strips
- Shredded Cheese
- In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 Tablespoon olive oil until tender.
- In a stockpot, add all ingredients except flour tortillas and cheese. Bring to a boil and let simmer 4-5 hours.
- 20 minutes before serving, pre-heat oven to 250 degrees. Place flour tortillas on oven racks and bake up slightly crisp. Remove from oven, let cool 5 minutes before slicing into strips.
- Serve Tortilla soup with tortilla strips and shredded cheese.
Noel’s Quick Notes: The amount of chicken stock will vary depending on the size of your stockpot. I added enough chicken stock to where it wasn’t overpowering the rest of the ingredients. Soup will taste even better when re-heated and served the next day as the flavors have a chance to meld together. The next batch, I’m going to try adding some type of roasted mild chile pepper.
Variations: Serve with sliced avacado or a dollop of sour cream.
Cooking Time:4-6 hours
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 4-6 hours cooking; 10 minutes prep time
Meal Type: Lunch or Dinner
My Family Rating: 4.50