This past weekend, I made 4 batches of pizza and bread dough for the week and used one batch for my Chicken and Vegetable Calzones. I originally created Chicken and Vegetable Pasties on the weekly menu but I was so impressed by how easy this dough recipe came together, and how easy it was to make I decided on making Calzones.
Chicken and Vegetable Calzones
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cups seasoned shredded cooked chicken
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
1 batch of Pizza dough
- In a skillet, saute carrots, potatoes and onion until tender. Set aside.
- In saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons butter. Add flour; cook and stir until mixture begins to bubble.
- Gradually stir in milk; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Add cooked chicken and vegetable mixture. Set aside.
- Divide Pizza dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then use a rolling pin to make a 9″ circle, sprinkling a little flour if the pizza dough sticks to the pin or the board.
- Transfer the pizza dough circle to a lightly sprayed cookie sheet. Spread chicken and vegetable mixture only one-half of the circle, leaving a one-inch margin without mixture around the edge.
- Carefully fold the empty half of the circle up and over the chicken mixture, gently stretching the dough if necessary. Try not to get chicken mixture in the one-inch margin around the edge.
- Pinch together the edges of the calzone firmly.
- Brush calzones with an egg wash. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until done and slightly browned, approximately 13-16 minutes. The calzone will be extremely hot, so let it cool 15 minutes or so before eating.
*The Calzones can always be made ahead of time and frozen in zip-loc freezer bags and pulled out when ready to use. Serve with a green salad.
*Extra Chicken and Vegetable mixture can also be frozen in zip-loc freezer bags to use the next time you make Calzones.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!