The Bread Machine makes baking bread for busy moms one of the easiest taks in the kitchen, yet it produces spectacular results.
Summary: Dense and chewy, bagels are a delight when they are split and toasted and served with butter, cream cheese or your favorite jam. They also make a delicious sandwich. You can experiment by adding chopped sauteed onions, sliced jalapenos, shredded cheese or raisins and cinnamon, to the dough.
Recipe: Homemade Bagels
1 cup milk
1 1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon Bread Machine Yeast
I Tablespoon sugar
1 egg white
- Put all but the last two ingredients in bread machine in order listed. Set bread machine for dough stage. Press start.
- When dough is ready, remove from bread machine and punch down. Cut dough into equal pieces (8-10 for small), (12 to 15 for large).
- Roll each piece into a ball. Using your thumb press middle of ball all the way through to form an open circle in the dough, allowing the dough to stay together.
- Set the bagels in a warm place to rise and cover them loosely. This takes approximately 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. While the bagels are rising, bring about 2 quarts of water to a boil in a stockpot.
- Add 1 Tablespoon sugar to water. When the bagels have risen, drop one or two at a time into boiling water, handling as gentle as possible so they do not deflate. (They will rise to surface of the water and swell up.) Let them cook 1 minute, then turn them over and let them cook 3 minutes longer.
- Remove bagels, let drain over the water, and place them onto an ungreased baking sheet. Beat egg white and brush over bagels.
- Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Noel’s Quick Notes: Prior to baking, sprinkle with seasame or poppy seeds or coarse salt if desired.
Variations: Recipe variations are listed above in summary of recipe. Use this recipe as a base and add your favorite toppings of choice. Whole Wheat bread flour also works well in this recipe.
Makes: 12-15 bagels
Cooking Time: Approximately 30 minutes (4 minutes boiling time, 20-25 minutes baking time)
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes in Bread Machine on dough cycle. (Some bread machine times vary) 15 minutes rising time.
Total Cooking Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Meal Type: Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
My Family Rating: 5 stars
What are some of your favorite bagels?
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!