Recipe: Favorite Vegetable Beef Soup
Summary: This flavorful soup tastes so fresh you’ll never know it’s been frozen. You can easily double the recipe when tomatoes are plentiful or toss in extra vegetables from your garden.
- 2 cups water, plus 3-4 cups
- 2 pounds boneless beef, in one piece
- 2 14.5-ounce cans whole Italian Stewed tomatoes, undrained, chopped if desired
- 1 12-15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups (4-6 potatoes) yellow potato, diced
- 1 carrot, trimmed, scraped and sliced
- 1 celery stock, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the water, 1 teaspoon salt, and the beef in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until the beef is tender and beginning to fall apart or easily chopped. Remove from heat and set the beef aside to cool.
- Chill the cooking liquid and disgard any grease that rises to the top of the broth.
- Shred or chop the cooked beef and disgard any fat and gristle. Return the beef to the skimmed broth and add all the vegetables, pepper, juices from tomatoes and enough water until the pot is almost full (3-4 cups).
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer just until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste the mixture as it cooks and add salt if desired.
To freeze:Place 2 cups in freezable container. To thaw: Remove from freezer and place in refrigerator until ready to heat. Heat on medium-high heat for 20 minutes. Serve with rolls or french bread.
Can use all fresh vegetables or frozen depending on what produce is available at grocery store or in your garden.
Cooking time (duration): 60
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Microformatting by hRecipe.
You can stock your freezer with ready meals for any night of the week.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!