A delicious quick and easy weeknight dinner of creamy chicken and noodles. A perfect make ahead freezer meal. These simple dishes are a staple in our home!
If you were to cook in quantity and freeze your meals as you go, you would be stocking your freezer with dinners that are either completely prepared or need only finishing touches. I always try and choose entrees that my family will like and that can be prepared in quantity.
Tonight’s dinner is made from the whole chicken I’ve had cooking in the crockpot while I was at work.
Chicken and Noodles
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken stock, plus 2 cups to cook noodles
1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups noodles, cooked
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the chicken from slow cooker and place on cutting board or plate to cool a little. While the chicken is cooling down, in a medium stock pot, use 2 cups stock plus 1 cup water. Bring the broth to a boil and add noodles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until barely tender.
- While the noodles cook, in another pan, melt butter and add onion and mushrooms. Cook until onions are translucent. Add flour and stir until incorporated. Add sour cream, Italian seasoning along with chicken broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Remove the chicken from the bones, leaving it in large chunks. When the noodles are just tender, drain and add noodles along with the chicken to sauce. Stir together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Cook’s Note: Cream of Mushroom soup can be substituted in this dish. A vegetable such as frozen peas or carrots could also be added to this dish.
Freeze any leftovers for another night in the month or as leftovers for lunch. I never have to worry about having half a package, half a cup, or a few pieces of anything leftover. If it is perishable, I just simply figure out a different way to use it within the next day or so, or I freeze it in a ziploc freezer bag. Sometimes the extra portion left over from dinner makes an excellent lunch later on in the week.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!