Rustic Fruit Tart
- 1 recipe for Single-Crust Pie
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sliced peeled fresh fruit of your choice-apples, peaches, strawberries,blackberries, or blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- Powdered sugar
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Set aside. Prepare pastry for Single-Crust Pie. Roll pastry into a 9-inch circle; place on prepared baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together granulated sugar and flour. Add lemon juice and fruit. Toss gently until coated.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mound fruit mixture in center of pastry, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold border of pastry up over fruit mixture, pleating pastry gently as needed to hold in juices. In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork; brush onto top and sides of pastry.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until pastry is golden and fruit filling is bubbly. Cool on baking sheet for 30 minutes. Dust pastry edges with powdered sugar.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie: In a medium bowl, stir together 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup chilled unsalted butter until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon cold water over part of flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Repeat moistening flour mixture with 1 Tablespoon water at a time until all the flour mixture is moistened (about 4 to 5 Tablespoons cold water should work). Form pastry into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Place in a 9 inch pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyound edge of pie plate. Crimp edges as desired.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!