I always like to send the kids off to school with something homemade in their lunch. I made a quick batch of Applesauce Muffins in less than 30 minutes.
These delicious muffins are a great way to start your kids days off or as a special treat in their lunch. It’s also one of those recipes your kids can help with. It’s simple, delicious and the ingredients are all household staples we have on hand.
Quick Applesauce Muffins
Makes: 12 muffins
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup granny smith apples, diced
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with bake cups in kid designs like flowers, sports, insects. I’m always on the lookout for some fun looking bake cups for the kids. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Gently stir just until the flour disappears. This will produce muffins with a nice crumbly texture.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugars. Stir in the applesauce, diced apples and softened butter until the mixture is smooth. For easy muffin distribution, I use a my stainless steel scoops to distribute the batter evenly in the bake cups.
- Pour the apple mixture into the flour mixture. Mix together with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Fill the bake cups about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown.
- Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of one muffin. If it comes out clean, the muffins are ready to eat.
**This would also make a delicious Applesauce Bread.
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get my newest healthy recipes for families, eating healthy on a budget and more!