If you’re like me and like to have some Frugal Homemade Ready Made Mixes in your pantry, then I’m sure you’re pantry is stocked with some great ones. Using ready made mixes are a great way to save money. Most of them last in your pantry for up to 6 months. Plus, it’s a great way to control the ingredients that are in the mixes. If you’ve never made your own mixes from scratch, it’s a great time to start.
This week, I’m taking a few of those ready made mixes camping with us. It’s easy to make hearty eating with instant cooking. Mixes are lightweight and compact. Here’s what’s we’re bringing with us:
- 6 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 wheat germ ( I use oat bran)
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
- In a large bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, dry milk, salt, sugar, wheat germ or oat bran and baking powder. Mix well. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Put in a large airtight container. Label. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 10 to 12 weeks. Makes about 14 cups of WHEAT MIX.
*Always be sure to label and date your mixes so you know when to use them by.
This Favorite Wheat Pancake recipe is one that you could make using the Wheat Mix recipe. It’s extra easy and especially nourishing!
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/4 cups Wheat Mix
- Combine egg and water in a medium bowl. Stir in Wheat Mix until just moistened. Cook on a hot oiled griddle about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned on both sides. Makes about 15 4-inch pancakes.
*If you were taking this recipe camping, place Wheat mix in a ziploc bag, label with wet ingredients. Then when ready to use, add wet ingredients to ziploc bag, reseal bag, mix ingredients by gently squeezing the bag 30 to 40 seconds. This means no fuss and no mess. The kids can even help with this.