The family loves biscuits and while the drop biscuits I make are pretty simple, I enjoy the round flaky on the outside and fluffy on the inside kind. Much similar to those you buy from KFC. Serve with jam, honey or even better butter and a little bit of cinnamon. I’ve also read others like molasses and butter.
Homemade Biscuits From Scratch
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda; Cut in 1/4 shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk until a soft dough forms. (It will be sticky.)
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead gently 10 to 12 times or until no longer sticky, re-flouring board as necessary while kneading.
- Divide dough in half; Gently pat or roll each half into an 8-inch circle 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits – pressing straight down – with a 2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Reform the scraps, working it as little as possible and continue cutting.
- Place cut biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet with edges barely touching; Brush tops of the biscuits with a little milk.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lightly brush melted butter on top and enjoy with jelly, honey or more butter.