Making homemade cleaning products to use in your home is very easy to do. It simply takes a little bit of effort. It’s so easy to go to the grocery store and spend $12-$24 on a name brand laundry detergent like Tide or Cheer but is it cost effective? Not to mention all the unknown chemicals your washing your clothes in. With 3 simple ingredients found in your local grocery store you can make your own laundry soap detergent for less.
When I was researching online for laundry soap detergent recipes, I came across a few different ones suggesting using Fels-Naptha soap. Since it was my first time, making laundry soap from scratch, I used Fels-Natha. That’s the yellow color ingredient you see leftover in the mason jar from my previous batch. Then I found out you can use practically any bar soap of your choice. So On my next batch, I just added it to my previous one. If you normally use another type of bar soap then you can use it.
When washing a load of laundry, I use about a 1/4 cup laundry soap detergent. Please be aware that this laundry soap detergent does not make your wash machine fill with soap suds so don’t think it’s not working or you haven’t used the right amount of ingredients. If you don’t see suds, that’s alright. It’s the ingredients in the soap that matter, not the suds.
Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent
With just these 3 simple ingredients, you can have laundry soap detergent, plus great cleaning products that are not harmful to the family. (I make 2 batches at a time which will fit into 1 24-ounce mason jar with a little left over which is added to another jar.)
Makes: Approximately 24 ounces
- 1 55-ounce box Arm & Hammer all natural Super swashing Soda
- 1 4lb 12-ounce box 20 Mule Team Borax
- 1 5 1/2-ounce bar Fels-Naptha laundry bar soap (or whatever bar soap you like –Dove, Ivory, NuSkin etc)
- Shave 1 bar of soap. (I use my Micro-plane adjustable grater from Pampered Chef or a simple hand grater would work fine too.)
- Add 1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
- Add 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
- Stir ingredients together until they have a powder consistency.
- Store in a mason jar or container type with a lid.
There you have it. Simple, Easy and Affordable.