Your family will enjoy the benefits of freshly-made bread in many forms and varieties. There is a limitless selection of muffins, biscuits, rolls, yeast and quick breads. In this week’s menu, you’ll find we’re making some breads that are quick and easy like this classic Crumb Top Coffee Cake along with others that are designed for a day of leisurely baking.
Crumb Top Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbles.
- Reserve 1 cup for topping.
- Add baking powder, cinnamon and salt; cut in remaining butter.
- Add combined milk and egg, mixing just until moistened.
- Pour into greased and floured 8-inch square pan; sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.